Friday, February 2, 2007

Practice tip from Suzuki: LISTEN!

As a child, I learned a piano piece by first hearing my teacher play it once, then by working out the notes and fingering in daily practice. But hearing it just one time wasn't enough. I would have learned my pieces more quickly if I had listened to them more often, like Suzuki students do.

When students listen to a piece on a CD over and over, the notes and dynamics get into their heads. This helps them to learn pieces more quickly. Memorization comes more easily. Rhythms and notes aren't so difficult to figure out.

It's crazy but I used to think that listening to a piece while trying to learn it was cheating somehow. Professional musicians use the listening strategy all the time. Sometimes they'll even listen to several different performances of the same piece. When they start practicing, they bring their own artistry and interpretation to the music.

No comments:

SugarStrings is an all-girl, classical music trio comprised of 3 first cousins. Whenever SugarStrings performs, inevitably, we mothers are asked about their training routine, their instruments, choice of music, hours of practice, and more. This blog is our attempt to create a community of parents, teachers, and students who love music and want to improve their skills. My sisters, Laura and Janice, and I (Donna Marie) manage this website. We'll provide tips from master teachers and students alike. Please share your thoughts and tips and ideas for stories.